Monday, March 10, 2008

Primary Joys


So I guess I'll just plunge right in to this whole blog thing. I am pretty new at this, but I'm excited to find another way to avoid doing my homework...I mean...connect with other people. Yeah. :)

Currently I am supposed to be reading Milton's "Paradise Lost." I am actually excited to read this, since I've been wanting to read this poem. It just takes a little brain work, so enough procrastinating has to be done before so I can get the full effect of Milton's masterpiece.

So my weekend was pretty fun, which is why I was so exhausted on Sunday. Kirk and I teach the little 4-5 year olds every Sunday (called the Sunbeams and the CTR 5's), and some days I can be full of energy and ready to handle a bunch of wiggly (but sooo cute kids) who have a hard time paying attention. Sometimes, I admit, I feel that we are not doing much good and that not much is getting through to the kids. Other days though, there is just a sliver of hope that peeks through, and one child actually responds, or they are all still for five minutes, and I think...wow! Maybe there's some point to me being here after all.

Don't get me wrong, I love these kids. They have this beautiful innocence that I can't get enough of. For instance, we were playing "hot and cold" yesterday. I was the first one to hide the bit of black piece of paper, while all the kids huddled in a corner and counted to ten. They found it after a few hints from me, and then the kid who found the paper hid it the next time. I don't think they grasped the concept of "hot and cold," because they kept hiding the paper in the same spot! It was so cute. It turned into who-can-run-to-the-spot-the-fastest.
Also, I was chastised by a 4-year-old for saying "Put your bum in the seat." He declared, "You can't say 'bum'!" So I asked him, "What should I say then?" He said, "You have to say 'Sit in your chair!'" I apologized for using the word bum. Then of course, Kirk and I got into a whole debate about whether sitting included kneeling or if kneeling was simply between sitting or standing. This involved going to Merriam webster's dictionary and reading the definition of "kneel." I'm not kidding.

Well it is time to commence with the reading. Bom dia!

10 comments:

Peas said...

Yay! Welcome to Bloggerland!

fafner said...

I second that! I'll read it faithfully.

-Susan

Kirk said...

The title of your blog seems to issue the clarion call to one's stomach of deliciousness and scrumptrulescence.

Kim said...

Rachy has a blog! :)

Peas said...

So random - yesterday I made chocolate chip pumpkin cookies. They were delicious.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

This better not keep you from blogging elsewhere...I'm excited to add you to my blogger list:) I don't think bum is a bad word for kids, its the one we use for that area. I need an explanation for the name of the blog...

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

ok i just read the pumpkin explanation in your bio...

Christina said...

Wasn't procrastination how Milton himself worked? I seem to remember something to that effect from A Confederacy of Dunces. You read that book right? About the crazy fat man who had gone to Tulane?

Christina said...

Also, now that I've actually finished reading your post: I think that every argument should include a trip to a dictionary. Sometimes this may clear the whole issue up, as you never know when ambiguities have been previously debated and the defined. Personally I feel that an action does not become a kneel until your knees bend down towards the floor, not just lower from where they would be if you were standing. So, some people might not kneel when they are sitting, but others might. I'm not really sure how I do it.
The point is, we have these definitions for a reason! They have been discussed and debated for centuries so that we may think of other things and not reinvent the wheel.

I don't really think that we should blindly adhere to a prescribed point of view. This was merely for...effect?

Rachel said...

I agree, I think that some people kneel when they are sitting and other people don't. Kirk however, does not agree with me. *hmf*