Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cake Decorating Class

i recently took a Wilton cake decorating class at Hobby Lobby. it was awesome because now i know that i can frost a cake and do some fun things with pastry bags and tips that i'd never done before.

on the flip side, the teacher tended to hover over me and that made me nervous. and she was super talented, but english was not her first language so it made the explanations difficult to understand sometimes.

overall though, a positive experience. here are a few pics.
This was my first cake. I did not design it...everyone just copied it. Not a huge fan of the design, but maybe that's just me. And by the time I was done making this, I wanted to hurl just thinking about eating frosting. Frosting OVERLOAD at my house!

Sorry this  is blurry, but you can still see the prettiness. I think making cupcakes was my favorite project. It didn't take as long to decorate and I learned how to do the swoopy, thick frosting on top. It's all about the tip AND the thickness of the frosting. Interesting. Oh and I also loved making the leaves. So fun.

This was my final project. If you add wheels in the bottom (which I ddin't do), it's a baby carriage! Can you see the blanket, made with the yellow frosting? We learned how to do writing this day too, and my frosting was a bit too thin to really achieve optimal writing. I was originally going to put "Welcome Baby," and I opted for doing as few letters as possible. Do you notice how smooth the frosting is in comparison to my first cake??

3 comments:

Unknown said...

SUPER CUTE! loving it lots and lots. i think mi madre and i are going to take one this summer. hopefully.

Laura said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those cupcakes! They are BEAUTIFUL! You are officially hired as my teacher...at least I know that you are fluent in English! :-) Looking forward to my first class!

fafner said...

Wow--that frosting is super smooth in the last picture! Before you said that, I thought it was fondant. You're a pro!

I like decorating cupcakes best too. If you screw one up, you just go to the next one!