Friday, November 21, 2008

Brides of Harris County

So I am kind of a sap, I know. But when I turned on the Rachael Ray show this morning, I couldn't help tearing up. It was called "The Brides of Harris County," which actually is the county that I grew up in!

Basically, Rachael Ray put together a huge wedding for 33 couples in the Houston area who couldn't get married because of Hurrican Ike. Although I wasn't in Houston when the hurricane hit, my mother-in-law and some good friends were. They were without electricity for a couple of weeks and some were even without water. Obviously, it would be hard to have a wedding at this time!

I think it is SUCH an amazing thing that Rachael did. I guess because I just got married in 2007 in Houston, it kind of touched my heart even more. I would have been devastated if Kirk and I couldn't have gotten married when we wanted to, so I can understand the excitement these couples were experiencing when they finally got married. Here's an article you can read about it:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6091455.html

2 comments:

Unknown said...

awww :)

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

yeah, puts it into perspective...what if that happened YOUR week...that would stink!