I've found that having a balanced life has always been a bit hard for me. I'm the type of person that gets sucked into something and has a hard time getting out. If I start cleaning, I can't stop until I am done. If I'm gardening, I'll garden until it is pitch black outside. If I really like a book, don't mess with me while I'm reading it!I try to find balance in my life everyday, and some days are better than others. Currently Kirk and I are trying to find balance in our marriage. This semester is his most vital semester--he's taking his MCAT prep course so he can take the MCAT in May, he is taking extremely arduous classes right now, he's applying to med school in a couple of months...the list goes on and on.
This has been hard for me to have my husband away. If I had a job or school, no problem. But I have had a lot of free time...more than I have had in a very long time. So Kirk and I have been trying to balance. We try to have our scripture study together, our date night (or hour, if that's what it has to be), run errands together, eat dinner together, etc. Kirk has the tendency to focus on one project too, but we've had some really good (and LONG) talks of how we can make time for each other. I'm so proud of him--he's truly trying to make time for his wife, even when he's stressed out of his mind.
I went to Kirk's Med School Application Course today. Guess who was speaking? Good ol' Cecil O. Samuelson, the president of BYU. He also went to med school, so he was able to give some good advice to the students. I was impressed that many of the questions that the guys (the class was mostly guys) posed concerned their spouses. "How can we balance our families and ___ (med school, our practice, etc.)?" "How did your wife handle the stresses of med school with you?" How sweet that of all the questions they could have posed to President Samuelson, many of them chose to think about their spouses.
I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you, Kirk, for taking time out of your day to listen to your wife. Thank you to every husband out there who is trying the best he can to be a good husband + father, doctor, lawyer, student...whatever it may be. Your wives appreciate it.
2 comments:
:) Aww, Rachel. That was really sweet. Good luck with everything. Soon the semester will be over and you'll have him back. :)
balance, balance-always a tough one to handle. Its got to be hard not to have a job with him being so busy. Good for you for recognizing and commending him. Men need that kind of nurturing. You are doing well.
Post a Comment