Monday, March 23, 2009

I hate tax season.

So this is the first year that Kirk and I are filing our own taxes. Last year my dad filed mine and Kirk's parents filed his. So needless to say, I'm a newbie to this whole tax thing.

First, I try TurboTax online--the free version. They have handy little pictures that make you think that you're just filling out a survey. I start thinking, "Wow, this is fun!" That was my first mistake.

So I finish filing and sit back, proud of what I've accomplished...almost smug. NEVER be smug when filing. The IRS secretly knows when you are feeling smug.

In less than an hour, I get an email back: My return has been denied. Why? I put Kirk's social security number in wrong. I remember repeating the number several times to him over the phone, making sure that I got it right. Apparently I didn't get it right.

So I'm like...okay that is an easy fix. I do it again. Another email gets sent back. Apparently the IRS has a different number for how much money we have earned. I file again, doing some things a little different, and I get the SAME email back.

Frustrated, I throw my hands in the air and say, "We're getting help!"

So I make an appointment to get a BYU student to do it for us for free. I think, "Awesome. Maybe 4th time is a charm." I go onto campus today with Kirk, ready for our 11:30 appointment. I bring everything on campus except...my social security card. I used to always have this in my wallet, but then when I lost my wallet in London WITH the card in it, I decided that probably wasn't a good idea.

With only a little bit of time left, I drive all the way back home, grab my card, park, hurry to the library. I make it right in time for our appointment. Yay!

But wait, the saga isn't over! Kirk and I approach the accounting lab, look at the sign-in sheet, and notice our names aren't on it. I am fuming by this point. Making sure I take a deep breath, I ask Kirk to go inside and ask what's up. My day planner clearly said our appointment was today. My day planner never lies.

He comes back out, says that the girl in charge said, "We've never had any problems with signing up online. You can wait, but we're kind of busy."

AAaahhh!!! So I march over to the computer, look at the website to verify when our appointment is, and...

Wait. It's next week.

7 comments:

Christina said...

Probably the problem is you can't file an EZ form due to income from non-regular sources. Though it's weird that the IRS thinks it already knows your income. The reason for the return is that they don't know your income....

Also, why don't you have your social security card number memorized? Have you not had to enter into various forms about 10 thousand times?

Did I mention that I applied for an internship at the IRS?

J & J said...

ahhhh! don't you just LOVE days like this? i swear this is almost an every day occurence with me. don't worry...it's almost over.

Unknown said...

Ohhh, Rachel, I'm sorry. :( I have a love/hate relationship with taxes. I have done my own since I was about 17 or 18, so I can get them done on my own, but I'm always afraid I'll do it wrong.

I wonder why the income numbers were wrong... that's odd. I'm sorry you had such a crummy day. The IRS sucks. I'm always nervous I'll get one of those emails about being denied.

And I've done the appointment mix up too. I know how you feel. LOVE YOU!

Kim said...

bummer!!! how frustrating!

The Garcia Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Garcia Family said...

lol, just remember, tax returns make it all worthwhile :)

Monica said...

Ha ha ha - brilliant London memories! I still think it's awesome that you got the wallet back!