Thursday, September 25, 2008

Gratitude, with a splash of psychoanalysis.

I have just been thinking today about what great friends and family I have. I am truly blessed to have people in my life that I can turn to when I'm sad, or just have fun with. I'm going through a rough time right now when school and making big plans for the future (I'm basically freaking out) but I have some great support systems in my life.

I had a dream this morning that really affected me. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love analyzing dreams, especially with my mom. So she and I talked about what it could mean this morning and I think we came to some conclusions.

This is how the dream went:

A friend and I were walking down the street, and we pass this very handsome man who happens to be carrying two sticks: a walking stick to support himself and a stick to guide him along. He was blind. For some reason, as he passed us he dropped the stick. I knew that he dropped it on purpose, so that I would pick it up and come talk to him. Apparently he didn't need the support too much, because he walked on just fine.

I hesitated, and then I picked up the stick and ran to him to give it back. He turned around, thanked me for giving it to him. Then, with so much warmth in his eyes, he asked me if I wanted to do anything Friday night. It was at this point in the dream that I realized he wasn't totally blind either. He could see me pretty well.

I woke up completely puzzled, and wanting to go back to sleep so I could see that warmth in his eyes again. It was the kind of warmth that I get from Kirk sometimes, something so much better than a cozy blanket or a fuzzy sweatshirt--a warmness that shoots straight through me.

So here is my analysis: I am actually the blind man. Weird, I know. But I have been so stressed that I need people to support me. And I have gotten that support from people who are so important to me in my life. I am partially blind because I can't see into the future, but I can see what is right in front of me: my loved ones.

I also think that "me" in the dream is actually all of my friends and family, especially Kirk. He is the one that I usually throw the "support stick" to, and he is the one that I asked to go out with me this Friday night. ;) He is also the one that I can see even when I'm partially blind. I know that he's going to be there in my future.

Interesting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooooh! Very interesting, Rachel!!! :-D I never would have come up with that. But to me, dreams are dreams. I should talk to you the next time I have a weird one. You'll get lots of weird ones once you're pregnant. :-D Oooh, I'd love to hear about those ones!!!

fafner said...

Furthermore, you would make a VERY handsome man.

Hope you're sorting though everything!