Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy Birthday Kirk!

Kirk turns 23 today!! In commemoration of his birthday, I have placed completely random pictures here of my amazingly awesome husband. Note: the very bottom pictures are of the birthday festivities last night. We had them last night because a) That was Normy's last night in town and b) Kirk and I won't see each other until late tonight.























Above: Kirk's "excited/competely candid" face when seeing the cake.
This is pretty exciting because it is Kirk's first birthday in our marriage. We have actually celebrated five of his birthdays together already! Granted, two of them he was in Idaho on a mission, but I still sent him birthday packages. :)

In Kirk's 23 years, I have known him or known of of him for nine of those years. He is someone who is usually quiet in a group, but has so much to say when he is one-on-one with someone. I love that we can have conversations that just go forever--it makes living with him so fun!
He is a very kind man. He always sticks up for my siblings if I'm teasing them too much, and is able to calm me down if I get too riled up. He is also a peacemaker. He wants everyone to be happy and in our marriage, he always puts me first. I really appreciate that and it makes me want to be better for him.
He can adapt to any role he has to play in life. Whether it is being a missionary for two years, being a boyfriend, being a husband, being a teacher, being a student...whatever the situation is, he simply does what he can and doesn't beat himself up when he sometimes falls short (as we all do).

He is insanely smart. The kind of smart where he doesn't have try, and he can do great on anything. Now that he is actually trying in school (and even before too), I grow envious of his grades! His mind is like a steel trap and he can remember the most minute tidbits of information.

And last but not least, he is a total goofball. We remarked early in our marriage that married life is like having a sleepover with your best friend every night. I have so much fun with him and make fun of him for being a kid still on a dailiy basis.

He is truly my best friend. And he's drop-dead sexy.

Happy Birthday Kirky!

5 comments:

President and Sister Hill said...

What a great tribute to Kirk! He is also a wonderful Son. We are so blessed to be his parents. Thanks Rachel for being the right wife for him. We are so grateful for both of you!
Kirk's MOM

Russ said...

Yea, yea!! Kirk is the best!! And Rachel is such a great wife to my little bro. Love you guys.

fafner said...

Oh yes, happy birthday, Kirk! I was going to write that on his facebook wall, but Kirk is (for all his other fine qualities) not much of a facebooker.

I trust you will relay the message to him!

Monica said...

Aw, y'all are so cute!

Wow, look at the above sentence and tell me that you're not rubbing off on me...

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i love your quote about marriage being a sleepover with your best friend every night. what a great tribute to my little bro...how did I miss this? Oh yeah b/c of your bad bloggerness...I kept checking and checking and nothing new from rachel, so i stopped checking:)

the kids saw me reading this and loved seeing themselves and the one right after with the mess all over his face. you are a good wife to him, rachel, to recognize and note all those great qualities about him. i'm so glad you found each other.