Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day

I heart Valentine's Day. I know some people don't care for it. They say "Why do I need to do something for my special someone on this day? Just because society says so?" I say, "Heck yes!"

I am a gushy person. I cry easily, I hurt easily, but I love easily too. I don't mind being sentimental because it feels like in today's world, well...we're all just a little too hardened. Too jaded. Maybe I'll become jaded too when I get older but I sure hope not. We were put on this earth to ride the roller coaster of life for all it's worth.

ANYWAY, obviously with my feelings on love, V-day is a big deal to me. I love that there is one day a year when everyone celebrates it. Kirk did a great job this year, and we even spent less money than we did last year. Yay!

I'm too lazy to take pictures, but he basically got me:


+

(except with pearls, which I like better)

+


Now I know the bear is generally cliche, but honestly this is the first time I've ever gotten one for V-day. EVER. So to me, it's not cliche. It's sweet. Plus the bear is sooooo soft.

I did give him presents too, but I'm not going to put pictures up. :)

We had gnocchi for dinner by candlelight (gnocchi was our favorite dish in Italy, so that was nice) and then went to a party at our friend Margot's apartment. Fun, fun.

On a different note, I'm trying to decide right now about teaching certification. Should I do it in Utah? Should I wait until we get to Texas? I know that eventually I want to teach, and since I'm having a hard time finding a job, right now might be the best time...

Decisions, decisions.

5 comments:

fafner said...

I have a couple friends who are substitute teaching right now. I don't think you have to be certified to do it, and it's good experience. The only thing is that you don't get health insurance, and you aren't guaranteed work every day. Depends what you're looking for!

Also, Happy Valentines too you too!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

Texas? Isn't that a few years off? Wow, I think you got more for Vday than I ever have. We don't do much of the gift exchange...I say I want treats and I get 'em. I love a soft bear. Michael actually gave me a red teddy bear for Valentines day 10 years ago (dating slowly at the time) and we still have it in our family.

Unknown said...

Oooh, you'll have to take a photo of the necklace! I'd love to see it! :)

Happy Valentine's Day Rachel! Love you!!

Rachel said...

Yeah, I think gifts is one of my languages of love. And we're going to Texas next April, so about a year and a half.

Thanks for the V-day wishes!!

kathy said...

Sounds like you guys had a really fun day! I love Valentine's too! It's so much fun. Good luck in your job hunt.