Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Potty Training


Today was Day 1 of the 3-day naked potty training. To be honest, I was TERRIFIED. Sydney had been showing signs that she was ready to do it the past few months, and I used my Hawaii trip as an excuse to delay doing it until the new year. :) Also, I knew Kirk would be able to help out because he is at home studying for the next few months. Yay for helpful hubbies!

I have to say, despite my apprehensions, it was not nearly as bad today as I thought it would be!

This morning we put all of Sydney's diapers into a garbage sack (Sydney helped) and I told her that "[She] was going to be naked all day!" and "Diapers are for babies! You're a big girl!" {Insert LOTS of enthusiasm in every sentence that I am uttering}.

We had bought this potty for her:

and set it in the middle of the tarp-covered living room.

Today we gave her about 6-7 sippy cups full of juice, lots of salty snacks, one m&m for pee in the potty, and 2 m&m's for poop. We spent the entire day watching tv and chanting "Pee pee in the potty!! Pee pee in the potty!" when Syd went in the potty. There was lots of wiping, hand washing, and m&m eating.

Sydney was definitely ready for this. She only had one accident, and that was at the beginning of the day. She even pooped in the potty! (Which I have heard is harder to train your child to do).

I was debating about trying to  potty train her for naptime and bedtime. We let her take her nap naked, laying on pee pads on her bed and with the potty in her room. I think she got the concept of peeing in the potty (there was pee in it when I came to get her), but didn't completely understand that you have to KEEP the pee in the potty. Pretty sure she dumped the pee out... So we'll probably just be doing pull-ups for now during bedtime and naptime. Which is fine by me. I was a late bed-wetter and it's normal for kids to not be night-trained until age 5. It's not ideal, but it's better than cleaning up pee every time she goes to sleep!

Here's to hoping days 2 and 3 go as smoothly! So proud of my Sydney-bear. :D

2 comments:

Voices of Laie said...

Haha sounds like everything is working out great! :)

Laura said...

You guys are doing an AMAZING job! She is so ready - and we are so proud of our Sydney-bear! Go Team Hill!!!