Thursday, September 22, 2011

The More Loving One

Looking up at the stars, I know quite well
That, for all they care, I can go to hell, 
But on earth indifference is the least
We have to dread from man or beast.

How should we like it were stars to burn
With a passion for us we could not return? 
If equal affection cannot be, 
Let the more loving one be me.

Admirer as I think I am
Of stars that do not give a damn,
I cannot, now I see them, say
I missed one terribly all day.

Were all stars to disappear or die, 
I should learn to look at an empty sky
And feel its total darkness sublime, 
Though this might take me a little time. 

--W.H. Auden

i heard this poem quoted on the show Felicity today. i love the part that says 
"if equal affection cannot be / let the more loving one be me."

i know this is probably more referring to unrequited love or maybe even a relationship where one person cares much more than the other, but in my marriage i want to try to. . . be the more loving one. isn't that what charity is all about? loving someone even when they're being a jerk face?

anyway, not having any problems in my marriage or anything. things are going really great, actually. but this poem touched me. 

enjoy.

1 comment:

fafner said...

That's a very selfless ideal, Rachel. I can see why you're marriage is such a good one! I also enjoyed the concept of loving someone anyway even when they're a jerk face :). I think you should do your own take on the poem. Your writing blog is getting lonely...